Race Review: Firecracker Four, four mile run
My first race back…The fourth of July marked the celebration of independence day, as well as my first race back since Phoenix and second since baby #2 arrived. Here’s the breakdown of the race, and what’s up next.
- A Goldilocks Race – not too crowded, not too long, just right. This was a great one to start off with because it was small (<600 runners) and a manageable distance. I’d be interested in running again but personally the timing falls during a hectic time of year.
- The Family Finish – the best part, having my fam watch me finish. Wasn’t expected with an early race start, but my husband had the girls there in time to yell “run fast Momma” at the finish line!
- Good race music – a trip to iTunes really helped pull me through a tough last mile!
- Training cost me a good finish – biggest mistake was not training at race distance and not incorporating hills in my workouts. The course wasn’t terribly hilly, but proved to be more than I expected. Finished near the bottom of my age group.
- much desired self-confidence boost not to be – I’d targeted a sub-10:00 pace and coming in ~10:20 was just disappointing. I really thought I could do it; not much more to it. I think that’s the most frustrating part about my “comeback”. There seems to be a disconnect between what my body is capable of, and what my head thinks I should be capable of.
The ugly….The race shirt. Nah. Not really. Just not my style.
Victory Lap….not taking much of one because I didn’t run just to finish. With one more 2011 race knocked down, I’m starting to look for a near-term 5k to be finished BELOW A 10:00 PACE.