Myth or not – core exercises will help you lose inches off your waist?
Caught this slide show/post on yahoo/health.com about carb selection, core exercise and how to lose belly fat fast. What caught my eye wasn’t so much the exercises, but the guarantee/assurance that you could lose “inches off your waist” by doing these frequently (four times per week). This kind of feels more like a “twenty days to change” type challenge but I’ll also classify it under the “myth or not” category. Can these exercises REALLY help me lose some belly fat?? Now that I’m wrapping up my water challenge, it’s time to move on to a new one anyway. Might as well try it out. I’ll be posting some progress updates along the way….here’s hoping for good results! Interesting that two of these are very similar to the pelvic floor strengthening exercises I wrote on earlier.
The Challenge: do these five exercises four times per week and after 20 days see noticeable changes in your belly (Note: no crunches involved!).
- Blast off /Front Plank: get up on your forearms, keep body straight so you form a triangle with the ground. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
- Straight leg scissors: lie on your back with arms at your side, legs straight up in the air. Flatten the back and hold in those abs. Lower your right leg so toes are in line/at the level of your nose. Bring right leg back up and repeat with left. Do 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
- Front plank with twist: Like #1 but twist slightly to the left (from waist only) then to the right. Do 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Reverse curl on ball: Kneel in front of a stability ball and slide abs/hips over. Keep hands out on the ground in front of you to stabilize. Walk hands out until the ball is under your shins. Pull in abs then slowly lower them down. Do 10–12 reps, three times.
- Straight line side lifts: Lie on your left side with your legs straight, arm pointing up and feet pointing out. Put your head on your straight left arm. Lift both legs off the ground, then lower until they’re about 1 inch off the ground. Do 10–12 reps, then move to the right side. Do 3 sets each side.