My recent doctor visit uncovered weak IT band/hips/glutes. Since I’m temporarily shutdown from running, I’ve decided the next 20 days will be mine to focus on core and hip strengthening to see if I notice any improvements in pain, swelling or both. I’ll recap the twenty day challenge later, but thought it might be helpful to share my top 10 sites I’ve found describing stretching and strengthening programs for IT bands, hips and glutes. Enjoy!
Top five detailed IT band strengthening programs:
As promised, my favorite five sites for IT band stretching…
- A Runner’s Guide to ITBS **this one is one of my favorites; very thorough and well done!
- Princeton University Athletic Medicine – IT band syndrome treatment protocol *another thorough one that breaks down different strategies
- Saturday Morning Zen – five daily exercises to strengthen hips, glutes, IT bands. love the pictures, easy to run thru
- Runner’s World – hip strengthening exercises good for folks looking for exercises with a resistance band
- Lorn Pearson’s IT band workout very detailed list
Top five video clips of IT band strengthening exercises:
Implementing the solution
What sites am I missing???
This is a small smattering of sites and though I’m already noticing similarities across the lists, I could easily be missing some good ones. Feel free to share any other recommendations, or even better, stories of anyone bouncing back from this type of injury!